Rim Country Life
Location - so close to it all, and yet so far away
The Rim Golf Club is conveniently located in Payson, Arizona, a beautiful 90-minute drive from Phoenix, Scottsdale, and most other Valley communities. Payson’s 5,000-foot elevation provides a pleasant four-season climate with an abundance of outdoor activities. Located in north-central Arizona and often called the “heart” of Arizona, Payson nestles comfortably at the base of the majestic Mogollon Rim – a 7,000 foot high, 200-mile long escarpment that stretches from north-central Arizona to Colorado’s Rocky Mountains. Mountains surround the town, with the rugged Mazatzal Mountains to the west, and the beautiful Stewart Range (Granite Dells, as they are know locally) to the south. The largest stand of ponderosa pines in the United States is found in the Tonto National Forest, enveloping Payson on all sides.
Water is a challenge for many Southwest communities, but Payson leadership has solved for that problem. The Blue Ridge Pipeline will bring water 14.5 miles off The Rim and directly to the Town. Rim Club ownership was prescient in securing a direct connection to the pipeline, ensuring golf course water supply without the worry of rising water rates, special golf assessments, or massive dues increases. Blue Ridge water also helps make the Town a highly desirable community in which to live, with a 100-year water supply assured.
You will feel like you are away from it all, but you will find everything you need within reach. The easy-going Town of Payson is a charming mountain community that fully embraces its rural Old West heritage, yet offers many of the amenities of a much larger community: world class healthcare facilities from the Banner Healthcare System; convenient shopping; a variety of restaurants; and movie theaters, all just minutes from The Rim Golf Club.
All-weather Arizona Highway 87 connects Payson directly to Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Sky Harbor International Airport. Four lanes of traffic-free cruising lifts you from the desert floor to the welcoming front door to Rim Country. You will enjoy spectacular scenic vistas, amazing rock formations, and a huge variety of vegetation as you climb up to 5,000 feet and our cool mountain town - - above the heat, below the snow!
Proximity is one of our key advantages
Within an easy 90-minute drive from Payson, you can access the following attractions and activities:
- The Red Rocks of Sedona
- Oak Creek Canyon
- Shopping, nightlife, and restaurants in Scottsdale
- Museums, theatres, and special exhibits
- World-class universities
- Professional sports teams and other international sports events
- Tonto, Wupatki, Tuzigoot, Agua Fria, Montezuma Castle, and numerous other National Monuments and historic sites
- Fly fishing atop The Rim
- Skiing on Mt. Humphries or in the White Mountains
- Roosevelt Lake
Within a six-hour drive, you can explore these varied activities:
- Grand Canyon National Park – one of the wonders of the world
- Zion, Bryce Canyon, Saguaro, Petrified Forest and other National Parks
- Nightlife of Las Vegas – the entertainment capitol of the world
- Tucson, Bisbee, and Tombstone
- Organ Pipe, Casa Grande, Sunset Crater Volcano, Canyon de Chelly, Sabino Canyon, and other National Monuments.
Local Attractions - you don’t need to go far to have to fun!
- World’s Oldest Continuous Rodeo, as well as other rodeos, festivals, and activities that showcase the Old West.
- The Beeline Cruise-In Car Show
- Tonto Natural Bridge State Park (less than 20 miles or 30 minutes)
Tonto Natural Bridge is believed to be the largest natural travertine bridge formation in the world. It stands 183 feet high over a 400-foot long tunnel that measures 150-feet at its widest point. Tonto Natural Bridge is located in a small beautiful valley between Pine and Payson.
- Shoo-Fly Indian Archaeological Site
- Tonto Fish Hatchery
- The Rim Country Museum
- Zane Grey’s Cabin
- Tonto Choral Society Concerts throughout the year
- Summer in the Park concert series at Green Valley Park
Outdoor adventures to entice you year round
Outdoor adventures are abundant in large thanks to our magnificent natural surroundings. From our 5,000-foot elevation, outdoor activities surround you year round
- Camping –Tent and RV
- Fishing - some of the best trout streams in Arizona and lakes stocked with trophy fish
- Hiking - 50 miles of dedicated trails in just about every direction, with paths that lead to many surprises along the way. You can hike to Native American ruins, see an abundance of wildlife, and discover quiet lakes and spectacular waterfalls and then the Tonto National Forest alone has a trail system totaling more than 500 miles.
- Water skiing
- ATV riding
- Horseback riding
- Hunting – Some of the best big game hunting in the Southwest
The Tonto National Forest and surrounding wilderness areas have a collection of nearly 900 miles of National Forest Service trails. Their primary purpose is to provide a variety of opportunities for hikers, bikers, and equestrians to enjoy the beauty and challenge of nature.
- Downhill skiing
- Sun Rise
- Snow Bowl
- Cross Country Skiing
- Snow Shoeing
Visit the Payson/Rim Country Website for more information